Skip to content
A citizen advocate is someone who:
- Believes that every person’s life has inherent value and worth.
- Holds sacred the right of all people to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Believes that people with disabilities have the same needs and interests as every other member of society.
- Understands that people with disabilities have generally been segregated, isolated, and very often abused, neglected, or at least disadvantaged.
- Thinks that all people need something meaningful to do with their lives.
- Is willing to make a long-term commitment to another person.
- Chooses to stand with and for another person who might be especially vulnerable.
- Can imagine what is possible for another person, rather than starting with perceived limitations.